Internet users would sometimes want to hide their identities online to be protected. Users are nowadays very concerned about privacy and are ready to explore solutions to protect their data. Proxies and VPNs are solutions that can help you protect your identity.
If you are looking for a solution for your privacy concerns, you may be confused about the option. If you are not sure whether to go for a proxy or VPN, then we can help you. Our guide will compare Proxies and VPNs and help you decide which is suitable for you.
What is a Proxy?
A proxy server is an in-between acting as a relay between the device you are using and the website you are visiting. The proxy is a remote public server that you can access using software or an app. The proxy server accesses web pages on your behalf. As a result, it helps you hide your identity.
When the website you are visiting tries to see your IP address, it sees the IP of the proxy server. Your identity is thus secure but your data is not secure. There are three types of proxies:
1. HTTP Proxies: These proxies are related to web pages. They are the most common type of proxy. When you set up the proxy for a browser, all the browser traffic is rerouted through the proxy.
2. SOCKS Proxies: This type of proxy is not limited to only web traffic but just like HTTP proxy, it works at the application level. This type of proxy is popular and hence has more load. It can become slow compared to HTTP proxy.
3. Transparent Proxies: This is a proxy where the user does not even know it exists. These proxies can be set up by parents for their kids or employers for their employees. The objective of a transparent proxy is to monitor what users are doing online.
A VPN or Virtual Private Network is as the name suggests a network that is private. It encrypts the data your send or receives. As a result, you can confidently access websites without worrying about your privacy or data being confirmed. Just like a proxy, it hides your identity. It also protects your data.
While proxies work at the application level, VPNs work at the operating system level. What this means is it encrypts all the traffic flowing between your device and the internet from browsers and background apps.
With a VPN, your ISP cannot see what you are doing. You are thus protected from websites tracking you and even from government surveillance. A VPN is the ultimate solution for your privacy needs.
One of the best VPNs in the market is Bandito VPN. This is truly the No. 1 VPN in the world that is reliable and also affordable. It is operational in 17 countries all over Europe, Asia, and the US. There are different plans on offer to suit your needs. It ensures lightning-fast internet and ensures the best security.
Which is better?
Comparing VPNs and Proxies will help you understand which is better.
· A VPN can encrypt traffic and protect you from tracking. A Proxy cannot do this.
· VPNs work at the operating system level while proxies work at the app level. A VPN thus offers better protection.
· A VPN can be slower since it also has to encrypt data. If you get a reliable VPN like Bandito, then you can ensure fast internet.
· Good VPNs require payment on a monthly or annual basis. Proxies are mostly free. You can even get free VPNs but they are not reliable.
· VPNs are robust and you can depend on them. Proxy server connections can drop frequently.
Can we use VPN & Proxy together?
It is possible to use both a VPN and a proxy together. But this does not make sense since configuring both can be tricky. A VPN does all that you want, so you would not require a proxy. You can use one of the two depending on your needs.
VPNs and Proxies are similar since they hide your IP address. But a VPN has more advantages since it protects you completely by encrypting all traffic through your device. If you have to choose between the two, a VPN is the best option.